Thursday, March 27, 2014

Loose dog

Melrose Animal Control has found a yellow lab Neutered  male with Blue collar and red holti harness collar says Charlie. please call 781-979-4102

Thursday, February 27, 2014

FOUND male/neutered orange domestic short haired cat near Grove St. no collars or microchip Please call 781-979-4102

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

DSH cat black and white lost on the 8th of January on Emerson Pl. he is a neutered male.If you have any information please call animal control. Thank you

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014 Dog Licenses

                                  TIME TO RENEW DOG LICENSES

The Melrose Animal Control Officer wants to remind ALL dog owners that it is time to renew their dog licenses. Each dog in the city has to be licensed every January, and their tag by law must be attached to the collar at all times. You’ll need to bring a current Rabies Certificate (provided by your veterinarian) and $20.00 to The City Clerks Office Monday – Thursday 8:30 am – 4:00 pm and Friday 8:30am to 12:30. After March 15th there will be an additional late fee of $15.00. Owners can also renew by mail, they just need to send in a check for $20.00 along with a current Rabies certificate. 
2 small pit bull mixes were found early Tuesday Morning running the streets of Melrose. If anyone is missing them please call VCA Wakefield 781-245-0045 or Melrose animal control 781-979-4102

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Today a resident on Warwick rd. is missing a DSH lg black cat. Please call animal control if you see anything in that area. The cat is not familiar with the area, he is just a visitor.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Holly, Jolly and Oh-So-Safe! Of course you want to include your furry companions in the festivities, pet parents, but as you celebrate this holiday season, try to keep your pet's eating and exercise habits as close to their normal routine as possible. And be sure to steer them clear of the following unhealthy treats, toxic plants and dangerous decorations:

O Christmas Tree Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn't tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.

Tinsel-less Town

Kitties love this sparkly, light-catching "toy" that's easy to bat around and carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow, which can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery. It's best to brighten your boughs with something other than tinsel.

No Feasting for the Furries

By now you know not to feed your pets chocolate and anything sweetened with xylitol, but do you know the lengths to which an enterprising fur kid will go to chomp on something yummy? Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans.

Toy Joy

Looking to stuff your pet's stockings? Choose gifts that are safe.

Dogs have been known to tear their toys apart and swallowing the pieces, which can then become lodged in the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible, Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or chew treats that are designed to be safely digestible.

Long, stringy things are a feline's dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Surprise kitty with a new ball that's too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer—and tons of play sessions together.

Forget the Mistletoe & Holly

Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. And many varieties of lilies, can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested. Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.

Leave the Leftovers

Fatty, spicy and no-no human foods, as well as bones, should not be fed to your furry friends. Pets can join the festivities in other fun ways that won't lead to costly medical bills.     Have a Happy Holiday and keep those fluffy friends safe!